Want a simple summary or only pics of the India trip?

If you just want to see the pictures with quick captions, you can check out my photos as http://picasaweb.google.com/calimarina/outreachtochennaiindia

If you'd like a basic run down of our day-by-day activities while in India, please check out the blog that Streams of Mercy kept up each day. Patty did a great job of keeping this updated with basic info, as well as pictures of the team's activities and great stories about why the work being done is so important. You can view the blog by going directly to http://streamsofmercyblog.blogspot.com/ . If, however, you're up for a more indepth and (be warned!) more personal view into my trip and experiences, please read on. I hope what I share blesses you in some way. Even the process of sharing and writing it has been a gift to me.

Lastly, please know that I'll be updating this blog with added posts in the weeks to come. Please sign up to follow the blog, or sign up for RSS feeds (or email me, and I can let you know when there are additions!). THANKS!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Drive from the Aiport to the Hotel

One of the many moving snapshots of life during the trip came on our drive from arriving at the airport to our hotel. I realized, at a certain point, that I was internally waiting for the "other" part of town. There were rundown buildings and trash-covered sidewalks everywhere. The truth, however, was that there was no "other" part of town. This was it. Chennai.

The most impacting moment, however, came as Wick was telling us about what we were seeing out the windows of our van. There were people - lots of people - laying on the sidewalks. "They live there," he said. No blankets, no cardboard boxes even. Just laying down on the sidewalk, close to the road, in the filth...sleeping. In that same moment, as I was letting that reality hit me, I saw a person laying on the sidewalk, and then saw a small child come up, lay down and cuddle on top of them. That spot was where he's sleep that night; he had no other home.


This was the situation of life there for countless thousands upon thousands - and that number is only in Chennai. There are MILLIONS orphaned, alone and living on the street in India. The men, women and children represent a hurting population about whom many there do not care. More on this in another post, but the sight of a little boy curling up next to his mom (I assume) in the dirty street was heartbreaking. The fact that there were probably 100 more to be seen on that single drive from the airport to our hotel was even more powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment