Want a simple summary or only pics of the India trip?

If you just want to see the pictures with quick captions, you can check out my photos as http://picasaweb.google.com/calimarina/outreachtochennaiindia

If you'd like a basic run down of our day-by-day activities while in India, please check out the blog that Streams of Mercy kept up each day. Patty did a great job of keeping this updated with basic info, as well as pictures of the team's activities and great stories about why the work being done is so important. You can view the blog by going directly to http://streamsofmercyblog.blogspot.com/ . If, however, you're up for a more indepth and (be warned!) more personal view into my trip and experiences, please read on. I hope what I share blesses you in some way. Even the process of sharing and writing it has been a gift to me.

Lastly, please know that I'll be updating this blog with added posts in the weeks to come. Please sign up to follow the blog, or sign up for RSS feeds (or email me, and I can let you know when there are additions!). THANKS!

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Wading through the Crowds

Imagine being somewhere that is SOOO full of people, that the idea of "personal space" is all but ridiculous. Now take the crowd and take it times 10. Now, make sure you're imagining full body-to-body contact. How does one get around such a crowd? Well, by shoving your way through. Seriously. Welcome to India. These pictures are from Pothy's, the store we went to in order to purchase the fabric that the women on the trip would have made into Punjabis. It was insane.


Literally, the way around was just to push your way past all the throngs around you. I suddenly understood how and why trampling deaths occur in India. It wouldn't take a crazed crowd that's been rendered insane by fear; it would just take a need for everyone to get out at once. The sheer crowd itself would see to the crushing; hysteria not required.


I found myself really considering what it would be like to live in that environment day in and day out. The order and politesse that we take for granted here in the states are nowhere to be found. My view may be (and surely is) tainted by my own limited circle of experience, but I cannot imagine fighting through the chaos each day without it taking a toll of energy and stress upon an individual. Even in that simple way, it gave me new respect for how challenging life in Chennai could be for someone who lived here each day.

1 comment:

  1. I am gripped by your poetic writing style. The January DTS just prayed and they are all going to India for 3 months. I am so glad to have read all of these wonderful posts so that I know how to pray for them as they leave. God BLess ya sistah

    ReplyDelete